Please read this whole page BEFORE making your first request. By requesting membership to the organization, you are agreeing to these terms.
ALL RECIPIENTSIf you receive free items, please pay it forward. When you're finished with the item, do not sell it for profit. Please remember to give it away to another homeschool family who needs or wants to use it! If abusers of this group are reported with proof (such as a screenshot of an item being resold), they will be banned from future activity, without question, and without any dispute or explanations asked. In order for this organization to work, people who donate MUST trust those on the receiving end, and if there's any doubt of someone's purposes here, they will be deleted.
- You may donate materials and funds through our site, or you may contact us to arrange physical hand-off. We are also in need of bookshelves and boxes / packing tape / mailing supplies.
- For one week each semester, we will open up the Book Shack for families to come and get the items they need. Details regarding these events will be posted well ahead of time on the blog.
- All members are expected to pull their weight. We are 100% volunteer run. You must purchase a $10 shopping pass (which is good for one year, and will help to cover insurance and overhead) before taking home materials. We will post information on the blog detailing each event.
- A few times of the year, during inventory, we will need volunteers. The people who volunteer (half-day increments) will also have first access to newly-unboxed books. We expect everyone to follow through on their word.
- Additionally, due to some inconsiderate behavior at our first event, we now are saying : "We reserve the right to restrict the number of books taken."
- Books / materials, as well as your shipping costs, are tax-deductible. See more information here.
- To request materials, please mail a hand-written letter to the address below. We cannot guarantee requests, but will do the best that we can. Please include your email address, as the requestee is expected to provide funds to cover shipping costs for the time being. (When donations begin to come in, we plan to eventually be able to cover all shipping costs.)
- Unless you need a specific piece, you will have a greater chance of meeting your request by saying something like : Kindergarten Math, Third Grade Science (note Christian, secular, or no preference), or High School Language Arts.
- All members are expected to pull their weight. We are 100% volunteer run. You must purchase a $10 shopping pass (which is good for one year, and will help to cover insurance and overhead) before receiving materials. If you have received materials from us in the past, we would love for you to mail them back to us in condition for another family to use. See more on mailing donations here. You may purchase your shopping pass with a $10 donation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Is your organization a non-profit 501(c)(3) and do you provide donation receipts?
- Yes. We are registered with the Internal Revenue Service as a non-profit organization with 501(c)(3) status and donors are eligible to deduct contributions they make under the IRC Section 170. Donors requesting a receipt should provide a valid e-mail address for us to send the receipt to.
- Why do you charge for shipping?
- Our organization is supported solely by donations. It is only through this generosity that The Book Shack is able to help families in need. While we would love to be able to provide the service completely free of charge, we cannot currently cover shipping. We do, however, ship at the cheapest rate possible, media mail. We are hopeful that over time that we may be able to offer all items without shipping fees.